All those who follow Jesus have dual citizenship. Jesus’ command implies this truth, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s” (Mark 12:17). We are both citizens of this world and citizens of the kingdom of God.
Part of our calling as Christians is to love and be faithful to our country. Alex Lacson offers us a list of 12 Little Things Every Filipino Can Do to Help Our Country.
- Follow traffic rules. Follow the law.
- Whenever you buy or pay for anything, always ask for an official receipt.
- Don’t buy smuggled goods. Buy local. Buy Filipino.
- When you talk to others, especially foreigners speak positively about us and our country.
- Respect your traffic officer, policeman and soldier.
- Do not litter. Dispose your garbage properly. Segregate. Recycle. Conserve.
- Support your church.
- During elections, do your solemn duty.
- Pay your employees well.
- Pay your taxes.
- Adopt a scholar or a poor child.
- Be a good parent. Teach your kids to follow the law and love our country.
Good advice. Simple things that can help our country, that can show our love for our country, that can show we are really good citizens of the country God has given us. Yes, we are citizens of the kingdom of this world. But our ultimate allegiance is not here in this kingdom, but in the kingdom of God.
Join me in exploring our “dual citizenship” by reading or listening to this sermon.